Hotel Front Desk Blog’s post Hotel Bloggers Linky (Not Kinky) Love inspired me to this post. [had to eliminate the links as the blog has become defunct since]
He lists a couple of Hotel Insider Blogs, because:
Unlike most other industries, there is not a lot of hotel related blogs penned by employees & insiders actually working in the hospitality industry – most seem to be just another marketing or promotional avenue written by hotels themselves as a management/public relations tool. While this is great, and I’m glad that a lot of hotels are catching onto the trend (yay, technology=good!), it leaves a lot to be said. While reading about the latest and greatest in room types and package promotions is always a good thing – more often than not, I’d much rather be reading about what really goes on behind the scenes, from the perspective of the staff that works there.
Although Front Desk Boy doesn’t see it that way:
Happy Hotelier: More focused on industry headlines than anything else, but a few viewpoints along the way from the author. Personally I think I’d like to read some stories from the author, as I like his style.
I strongly believe I am a hotel insider. I am running a small luxury all suites hotel. As the in house jack of all trades one of my functions is that of the Front Desk Manager. He would love to see more personal stories. Well I can’t do that. Insider stories might all too easy include and identify my guests, as the operation is so small that each guest story can be easily connected to a specific guest. Moreover I don’t like to remain incognito as FDB and some other insiders have to for the same obvious reason: keep in house what should be kept in house. Thanks for the nudge anyway FDB.
As Don Meador puts it: FDB’s list is a great beginning of a list. He misses a few. Therefore I have made my own list of hotel insiders.
Hotel insiders usually should have (had) some working experience in a hotel. I don’t mind them working in sales or marketing. I even don’t mind if they don’t work in a hotel anymore, but have some great insights to offer about hotels. And since Food and Beverage are great ingredients for many hotels, I also don’t mind it they are working in Food and Beverage, even without letting rooms.
- A Luxury Travel Blog. A Hotel insider? Yes, with a family background in self catering in the British Lake District, UK. and started his own self catering in 2009.
- Albert Barra, who set up the brilliant El Blog de un Hotel, a blog describing the development of a huge Eurostar Development in Madrid next to one of the main football stadiums. The blog has been discontinued after the opening which is a shame!
- Blog Mr and Mrs Smith by Tamara, Mrs Smith her good self.
- Blog for guests By Josiah [added March 2010].
- Budget Travel Tips from Eurocheapo. Well, because they asked nicely.
- Cool Travel Guide by Lara Dunston in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. A perpetual globetrotter and travel writer who has authored and contributed to over 30 travel guidebooks.
- Crazy hotel Workers a community.
- Daniel Edward Craig, the former author of the Opus Hotel Blog until he left his position at the Vancouver Opus Hotel to become a full time Hotel Crime Thriller writer. Unfortunately, since he left, the Opus Hotel Blog isn’t anymore what it used to be under the new author Katrina Caroll-Foster. Come on Katrina a soft nudge to continue Daniel’s work, or do as Bill Marriott: Dictate the blog!
- Feather or Foam? by a House Keeping Queen of Clean.
- Future Blog From Design Hotels [added March 2010].
- Gadling A Hotel review site.
- Get a Room by Don Meador, director of sales of The Landmark Hotel Group in Virginia Beach, VA, USA.
- Gletcher Blog. A hotelier in the Stubaier Alps in Austria
- Hotel Check-In by Barbara Delollis, hotel blog by USA Today for the business traveler gradually evolving into aiming all hotel guests.
- Hotel Blogs. Guillaume Thevenot is a Frenchman located in London.
- Hotel Chatter. A hotel review blog
- Hotel Design Photo Blog By Josiah [Added March 2010].
- Hotel Hallways Mister Arthur who is in advertising shows us the dour hotel hallways.
- Hotel Girl Three witty Journalists who maintain a seven star Hotelblog in the TW stable.
- Hotel i Tour. Claude Benard’s
secondmain blog, since he gave up writing for Les Explorers. Claude is probably the only Frenchman in France writing a travel blog in English as Guillaume lives in the UK.
- Hotel Manager Talk. Kevin Levine produces his own Hotelier podcast covering topics around N. America.
- Hotel Marketing Strategies By Josiah. To the point Simple and Good [Added March 2010]
- Hotel Musings by Adam Kirby [Added June 2010]
- Hotels of the Rich and Famous.
- Hraba Hospitality Consulting Blog
- Jaunted. Hotel review blog for the young ones
- Les Explorers by Claude Benard,
- Living with Legends. A diary about Hotel Chelsea in NYC.
- Marriott on the Move. The Bill Marriott, who, in my opinion, does a good job with his blog. Even if it is mainly about Marriott, he doesn’t avoid critical sounds in his comments.
- My Marrakesh by Maryam who
ishas finished building a Moroccan Guest-house.
- Passion of a Zealot by Andrew Calvo from New Jersey who is fascinated by hotel development. He is also a contributing editor on HotelChatter. He started blogging as a means of getting a job with Starwood Capital working for Barry Sternlicht. A real example of blogging for passion and with a purpose!
- Restaurant Gal by a waitress.
- So you wanna be a Banquet Manager…. A Banquet Manager.
- The Barmaid Blog A Barmaid.
- The Informed Traveler: Off course Five Star Alliance focused.
- Travel Rants, more a consumer (or prosumer?) blog than a Hotel insider Blog, but Darren is a bit of insider as he used to operate his own self catering website that he started for the family run business which he has closed now as per his comment.
- Red Room Chronicles. Long before Marriott entered the blog sphere, Rob Safuto was blogging about Marriott hotels around the world.
- Tourism and Hospitality Diaries [ Added February 25, 2010. Good stuff, but not so many posts since December, 2009].
- Urban Diner. Andrew Morrison is a local food critic who blogs about the Vancouver culinary scene, and he never misses a beat on local hotel happenings.
- Vacant Ready by a Canadian hotel professional presently based in
EgyptDubai, Chris Clarke, who set up Bed Jump, Hotel Beds, Hotel Splash and Hotel Throne, Hotel Bathrooms exposed successfully and then sold the concept to Hotels By City.
- Views from A Corner Suite Added Feb 2010
- Waiter Rant. Musings of a? Yes, you guessed right: Waiter. His book Waiter Rant is
due soonout and he had to give up his anonimity and I took the liberty of using the nice cover photo to enhance this post.
- Well done Fillet: The musings of an Irish restaurant waiter, [originally on Blogspot, but now selfhosted.]
I have changed the list occasionally in the meantime:
- Chocolate on the Pillow never took off
- Hotel Warrior was discontinued.
- Les explorers got a new writer since Claude gave up.
- Kitty Bean Yancy stopped writing for Hotel Hotsheet of USA today, while Barbara Delollis replaced her with Hotel Check-In of USA today.
- Vibeagent became Hotelicopter.
- Another Hotelier Blogspot is hardly being updated
- Unfortunatley Hotel Front Desk Blog by FrontDeskBoi (sic). Musings of a Front Desk Manager has been discontinued.
- Alex Bainbridge simply stoped blogging and erased all his posts and teamed up at Tnooz
- Drop into the Wyland Waikiki [added August 1, 2008] became a private blog.
Last edited by GJE on March 13, 2012 at 12:04 pm